Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Taking a Technological Holiday

Hello again readers, both faithful and new!

Here's to wishing you all a great Thanksgiving! Take at least one moment and realize how great we really have it. Honestly and without bitching, I'm just awed by how fast technology can move. I'll complain about it later, but take a step back and try to remember life before cell phones and the internet. If you're too young, try to imagine.

12 years ago you were in the minority if you had a cell phone. We had answering machines on our home phones, and some of us even had caller ID. Now, people look at you like a freak if you don't have a cell phone. I'm damn near an outcast because I removed text messaging from my phone.

15 years ago the internet was really just a toddler or adolescent at best. It was mostly text based, and there were things called BBS's instead of chat rooms. There was no streaming anything. And it was ALL dial up. Really fucking slow dial up.

I could go on and on, but more times than not, I long for the times before technology encroached my personal space. Maybe I'll just do my best to take myself off the grid for one day and enjoy a holiday. I'm not going to say more on this right now, because today I want to be thankful for my friends, my family, and for you who are reading this.

Yes, YOU.

Maybe you like the stupid stories I tell. Maybe you like feeling pissed off when you read something that goes against your beliefs. Maybe you feel validation if you agree with me. Or maybe you're Josh, and you just think I'm an asshole. ('Sup Josh!)

Regardless, thank you for reading and contributing, and I hope you all have a great Thanksgiving!

'Nuff said. The Bubba has spoken.

2 comments:

stef said...

I won't bother answering any of your questions, instead I will only say the word "beehive," and I don't mean the hairdo. Beehive. And yes, technology is scary. That iNerd in your hand could someday be capable of killing someone. Man, I hope there are no band names out there that could be confused with launch codes! Bad news, Cleveland! FUCK TEXTING, too! Let's bring back the human element! TALK TO ME! REACH OUT AND TOUCH SOMEONE! OMG! QUIT ABBRV. EV'THN! We have a lovely language! Seriously, what are we teaching the kids? L8r G8r? NEEDS TO STOP!

I seriously hope that you and your family have a lovely, wonderful, gold-sparkly holiday all covered with pretty decorations, toasty log-fire smell, and rich, creamy gravy. Tell mom, dad, and Lesley I send my love. And you, my love to you, sweet Bubba, you crazy cuddly wolverine. Can we have BeerGuy back?

And if you wear black because it's "fun", and follow the occult even though you won't do things because they're bad for you, than you are a douchebag vampire boner.

stef said...

And about technology:
"I heard yesterday they cloned a baby/ now can I finally sleep with me?"
-Rufus Wainwright
just think about it...